Sunday, September 7, 2008
St Paul's Catholic Church
Built in 1868 on the Swinomish Indian reservation at LaConner, Washington. Skagit county.
The first Catholic services attended by the Swinomish Tribes were in 1840 on Whidbey Island.
The first church was a structure of poles with a roof of mats. Outside hung a bell which rang the day the Point Elliot Treaty (between the US and several NW Washington Tribes) was signed in 1855. The bell hangs in the present church.